Friday, March 03, 2006

I'd take a punch in the face for these kids

Every Thursday of Lent from now until Easter (seven weeks) kids make a pilgrimage to a certain church in the south of La Paz. They spend all night walking and spending time in the plaza outside the church. It is a catholic tradition so we saw much opportunity to talk to people about faith.

Last night, at 2 am we went down there with a video camera and began asking kids questions. A lot of the questions were fun and were meant to get to know them, and a lot of the questions were religion related. I said I could be the DJ and go talk to the kids. Miguel and Mariana went with me to help with Spanish and filming. The kids seemed to be generally receptive. My Spanish needs a lot of work and I think I probably made a fool out of myself a couple times, but it was a challenge and I learned what to do better, and it’s better than doing nothing at all, and we did get some interesting conversations going.

One time I went up and started getting to know a group of kids who were walking. Then I started asking deeper questions. “How do you avoid hell and get to heaven?” They said, “you must try to live a good life.” I asked, “Is it harder for people to live a good life when there is a lot of poverty? Do they have to steal and lie more, to survive?” They said, “Yes, I guess so.” I continued, “Then how is that fair, that it is harder for a people in a poor country to avoid hell than it is for people in a rich country, like the United states or somewhere?” One of them said, “That’s just how life is sometimes.” It's interesting to see their perspectives. Randy and I were talking about their concept of fairness, and in some cases it has a different twist than we think it does.

There was a soccer game going on in the street at the side of the main plaza by the church. I asked if I could play with them and we began to play. About an hour into it I noticed a kid from each time, pushing each other and throwing punches. I saw no direct hits but I moved in quickly. I put myself between them and started probing into the problem. I shouted, “The game is won by talent, not anger. We’re playing soccer now, not fighting.”

I looked into the eyes of the kid on my team, and he just pointed to the other kid and said, “It’s him. He’s just…” His face was red and his eyes were squinty. I could almost see the heat rising from his face in the night. As he seemed to protest how unfair the other kid was, I told him, “We can be better by being more fair than them.” I revisited him several times to see how he was. I told him that if he wants to switch positions with me (he was the goalie), just tell me. I asked him how he felt and if everything was ok. He said, “No you’re good. It’s ok.” His hand shake and a sincere nod through his squinty eyes and heated face seemed to infer a bit of friendship.

I was not afraid to take a punch. I lose so little for what could be gained. I could get a broken nose, but my nose is already crooked. I could get a black eye but those heal. What we maybe gained was perhaps a bit of wisdom, and maybe an example of good sportmanship. I think of how amazing someone has to be to make an impression on my life, big enough to change it. And I am such a rookie that I don’t think any lives could be changed by how I handled the situation. But I have hope, and the faith that if I do my best with the situations God gives me, he can work through them to change lives, in his time. I have a lot to learn on how to treat the situation better next time, but with the knowledge that I had, and the willing heart to take a punch and be a good presence, I feel contentment that God could have used me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home