Monday, March 13, 2006

The amazing Alvar and the Lion

In the morning we went to the children’s hospital, to the burn unit. I sat down with a a young boy named Alvar. His face was covered with thick gauze soaked in a blood/scab colored salve. His hands were wrapped in thick gauze and just his fingertips poked out. He had a clipboard and was drawing on a paper bag. He asked for another bag to draw on. I brought one to him and I asked him what he would draw. He had a lion king coloring book on his lap that he was looking at. He said, “A lion.” I started telling him a story about a boy named Alvar and lions. I stopped several times in the middle of my story because I was amazed at his drawing. It was amazingly proportional and there were no mistakes. Finally, he finished it off by coloring it in.

After a while I was trying to think of something to say and I pulled out my notebook and showed him my drawings. He wanted to see more and more. Finally he asked me to draw them again for him. So I started drawing one of them again but this time on a paper bag. Before I finished he was asking me to draw the next one. I had drawn like 5 of them and then some invented ones by the time I had to leave. He was enthralled. He asked me if I was coming back and if I would bring him a drawing.
God used my gift of drawing to connect to this boy. We’re going back tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home